Thursday, July 24, 2008

Law School = Lawyer = Ferrari Money

So maybe my intentions are a bit skewed, but I'll move on anyways. I just got accepted to law school and am going to start taking classes on Aug 12. Here's my motivation for going to law school.

Engineering is cool and all. I like the work, it can be challenging at times. But in order to make a dent in the bank I would need to a)eventually become CEO or VP of some company or b)invent something new patent it and sell the rights.

Typically option a) can be accomplished after about 30 years working for the same company and even then it's not guaranteed thanks to the good ole boy system employed in corporate america.

option b) seems like it might take a whole lot longer, considering the most profitable advances today deal with cutting edge technology, software enhancements, or computer software programming none of which are my forte. I'm a mechanical designer with very little inclination mechanically. I do the theoretical work but going out there and actually doing it doesn't always give me a boner.

What about law school? Well let's just say as an intellectual property lawyer working for a law firm, salary starts in the 120K region straight out. There's also the option of working contracts and negotiations in entertainment and sports which is worth 10% of the amount negotiated. Additionally, a law degree is one of those advanced degrees that would eventually put me on the fast track for option a) mentioned above.

1 comment:

Doonsberry of the Donalg said...

i feel you on that edot... this engineering stuff is aight but i'm trying to get that 6 or 7 K salary as well or ferrari money... but i like to program (even though i'm not doing it with my job now and i haven't done it since i was an undergrad) and i like finance. to me that means i can be a programmer at an i-bank or hedge fund which equals 6 or 7 K salary or ferrari money. whatever the case, working for 15+ years is not the jump off. holla
-the donalg aka chuck