When a person speaks of their passion usually you hear things like "i can't live without it", "it's all i've ever wanted to do", "i could do this for the rest of my life and be happy" and more lines to that effect.
I'm all for people being passionate about something and going after their dreams. But keep in mind that some of these things can and will always remain just that, DREAMS.
Then on the other hand, there is the concept of being gifted. Sometimes it's referred to as your God given talent. The best way that I have heard it described is a skill, or a trade, or a method of doing something that comes naturally to you. Something to where you achieve exceptional results while putting in very minimal effort. Think of gifted athletes and musicians. I'm not saying that these people work any less harder than the average person. What I am saying is that what takes the average person two or three times the effort to achieve, it takes the gifted person very minimal effort.
Which goes into what I'm really trying to say, we should focus more of our efforts into making the most of our gifts and a little less time in things we are passionate about. I'm not saying give up on your passions. We all have these and we need them to keep us alive and to break away from the everyday routines that we have to go through with bills and responsibilities.
I'm not saying give up your passions. Instead I'm saying to enhance your gifts. You can make the most out of your life and the world around you with these gifts. If you're gifted with math and science, then consider tutoring or mentoring. If you're a gifted speaker, then go out and talk to people, help people to overcome their fears of speaking.
As with anything, what starts out as a passion can turn out to be a gift. Time changes everything.
When it comes to passions, you can spend the rest of your life spinning your wheels chasing what you think you're supposed to be good at. Doing this, causes you to miss out and take for granted the things that you have been gifted with.
Know your passions and enjoy them, share them with others. But use your gifts to make the world around you that much better. It's your way of leaving your mark on the world. It shouldn't be that hard because when you think about it, it's what you were "born to do."
-eDot
P.S. What are your gifts and what are you passionate about.
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm passionate about snowboarding. If i can get good at it and end up doing that for the rest of my life, i wouldn't be sad at all.
I think my God given gift is listening and teaching. Most teachers are good listeners.
I'm passionate about physical competition. Straight mono y mono type stuff. I would love to just be able to train and compete all the time. Like MMA or the Highland Games. Anything wher I get to use my body as a whole to try to out shine others.
My gift....I dunno. My body is pretty damn tough. It takes a lot to hurt me and even if I am hurt it takes a lot of pain to stop me.
Yeah, I was born to be a gladiator of sorts. Just in the wrong time period.
Post a Comment